[Dixielandjazz] Advertising

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 7 12:47:53 PST 2006

I actually make the things but there are drawbacks.  Magnetics are OK but
they are easily damaged.  They must be removed and cleaned under on a very
regular basis or they will glue down to your car's finish.  Small amounts of
dirt get under them and they sweat.  Now you have moisture, an abrasive and
movement.  Yes they move, not much and you can't see it but they do.  You
have just introduced sandpaper to your car's finish.  If you carry  a spray
wax and wax your door before putting the magnetic down and clean under it
every time you get gas you will have no problems but when it's below
freezing that just isn't practical.  You should also have a piece of sheet
metal to stick them to flat when you aren't using them.  The worst thing you
can do is throw them into a hot or very cold car draped over stuff.  They
take permanent bends that just won't come out.

They are a reasonable advertising technique they also say Hey! there are
band instruments in this car come get them.

Even though I make them and sell them I don't use them except when I am on a
job.

If you buy printed Magnetics such as I sell make sure they are laminated.
There is a new process out that bakes ink onto vinyl.  It doesn't need to be
laminated but doesn't last as long but it is very good looking.

My friend Mike Brooks - EMBEE ideas - is now selling music stands using the
new process printing on vinyl decoration.  He does some pretty cool things
with it like printing on silver sparkle vinyl which shows through the ink so
you can have things like Silver sparkle letters with red sparkle drop
shadows on black stands or red sparkle with black outlines on white stands.
It's pretty cool

My printed magnetics are pretty good for two years if taken care of.
Straight vinyl lettering is very good too.  Non laminated printing in vinyl
is good for about a year but then again most people don't use them that
long.

The advantage is that some insurance company's frown on you using your car
for business and don't want signs on your car.  It is better to have a vinyl
lettered sign be put on your driver side rear glass like in an SUV or van.
The cost is about the same or less and can be removed with a razor blade
without any problem.

Printed signs are gorgeous though.  If your sign guy is worth anything you
can have photos and multi colors that you really can't get with the straight
vinyl magnetics.

If you want signs, look on E-Bay.  There are guys out there that are pretty
good and will make a magnetic for your for not much.  For your reference I
charge $60 for two plus art work which can set you back a bunch depending on
what you want.  I have a $30 minimum on set up which includes one proof, a
photo, lettering and layout.  Changes start at $15 but most people like my
artwork.  I drop the printing price to $24 each for more than two.  If
someone just wants straight lettering then I might not charge that much.
I'm not selling signs (especially since my printer is down right now ) but
these prices are fairly competitive around here.   The prices are
considerably higher on the left and right coast but not bad if you book just
one job off of them.
Larry
St. Louis - the most dangerous city - watch out here comes one now!!!!!