[Dixielandjazz] COUNTRY JAZZ

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Wed May 31 18:22:00 PDT 2006

Sam, I agrre. The Phil Mason CD is good. Many other bands have done
"country" numbers though, "San Antonio Rose" is now almost a jazz standard;
how many bands play "Jambalaya". Ernie Carson and Marilyn Stafford did an LP
of country.  I could go on.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia

> To hear what Tom suggested, Phil Mason [Phil Mason New Orleans All Stars]
cut a CD a year ago comprised entirely of Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson
hits entitled ON THE ROAD AGAIN selling well in UK-EC.  Not all worked well
but a some tracks are outstanding.  For years, the Grand Ol' Opry warmed up
the audience with a Dixie Band and was always well received.  My experience
with taking OKOM into other music style venue is that it works well in
Country and Modern-Mainstream Jazz, gets by in the Big Band outlets and gets
run out of town in the Hard Rock-Rap clubs.  I think it is a matter of
volume.... even miked dixie can't compete with amplified instruments and 2
story speakers.