[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixie Chicks

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed May 31 15:01:08 PDT 2006

Steve Barbone wrote, regarding the Dixie Chicks:

They are far from stupid and in fact, more intelligent than most people on
the planet.
(snip)

John Farrell replies:

How on earth did he arrive at that absurd conclusion?
(snip)

Steve, I too am wondering how you arrived at this conclusion.  This sounds
very similar to the comment you made a few months ago where you stated that
most Rock musicians are better then most OKOM musicians, or something to
that affect.  That comment started
quite a flaming session with you & Tom Wiggins quitting DJML for about 8
hours.

Without all of the angry words from John Farrell & Bill Sargent, (after all,
we are all adults aren't we?  Well at least some of us are...) Please
explain yourself.

Just because someone makes a lot of money playing music, does not
necessarily mean that they are "more intelligent than most people on
the planet."  In fact, they could be dumb as a rock.  I certainly don't know
for sure, do you?

The stupidest person on the planet could be twanging a guitar & have some
smart promoter hear him or her & promote that stupid person into making
millions of dollars.  And there is a good chance that the person who is
doing the promoting is making more money than the stupid person twanging the
guitar.

Let the sales drop off of their albums, and the ticket sales for their
concerts drop off & the smart people, agents, managers, concert promoters,
record execs, dope dealers, hangers on, will drop them like a hot potato.

They may or may not be intelligent.  I don't know.  Do you?

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
The Fulton Street Jazz Band
The Boondockers (Jazz and Comedy)

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it,
but only you can feel the true warmth.