[Dixielandjazz] Smart or intelligent

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed May 31 16:41:52 PDT 2006

Bob - Actually I have found most musicians to be fairly bright people which
has nothing to do with how open minded or closed minded they are about
political  or other issues.

Success (Monetary) is a lot like training chickens to peck at a the correct
button to get a grain of corn.  Once you have the correct buttons under your
fingers success follows.  Success has more to do with how persistent you
are.  A lot of things are like a maze with a lot of wrong turns.  If you try
one thing and it doesn't work you keep trying.

I'm going to tell you right now that over the last 50 years as a musician I
have seen many better players than I just go away.  The reason is that it
just got to be too much of an effort to keep trying new things or they
failed to network or did something else stupid like think they were too good
to stoop to mere mortals level.

Everyone knows an incredible musician that plays better than anyone else
they have heard but he is playing in a bar somewhere making 50 bucks.
Obviously that guy hasn't punched in the right combination.

Someone compared Mariah Cary's brain to a brick but she has obviously
punched in the right combination for her.  Was that combination supplied by
others?  Quite possibly but at some point she made some smart decisions as
to who would help her..  A case of putting yourself in the right place at
the right time to meet the right people.

Rarely does someone become a star or successful (money wise) without a lot
of hard work.  The basic talent someone has may not appeal to us as
individuals but it's hard to argue with success.  The music field is one
that your daddy can't buy for you although it helps if your family has
become successful and can help you find those right buttons.  I have a sort
of hobby and that's finding someone in commercials that are family members
of otherwise famous people.  A well known case of this is Peter Fonda's
kids.  Jane (Now there's a case of gigacide) and her brother both had a leg
up in the industry and got a chance to give it a try.  I did a gig this week
with Russ David's Kids.  (Russ was a local star who died a couple of years
ago)  They are still at it and do quite well here in St. Louis.  They
learned the business at their dad's knee literally and the name opens a lot
of doors.

In any form of sales, which is what basically we are talking about, you have
to have a product that people want and a distribution system to deliver the
product.  I suspect that a lot of  successful singers ( instrumental
musicians too) are multi talented people who are able to present themselves
in such a manner that people will buy their product and are able to attract
the people that can do it for them.

Is this smart or intelligent?  I think that there is a difference by the
way.  That's up to you to decide but no matter what, these people are doing
something that regrettably, many aren't able to do for whatever reason.
Larry
St. Louis