[Dixielandjazz] Re: George Girard and the Basin Street Six

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Tue May 16 18:42:56 PDT 2006

There is also a 504 CD (505 CD16) which is erroneously titled "Pete Fountain
and his Basin Street Six". If memory serves me (and sometimes it is on
strike) George Girard was the leader.
504 do not give any recording information apart from the fact that it was
recorded in New Orleans. It is also not a great sounding reproduction.

Tunes:
Waiting for the Robert E Lee
South Rampart Street
Angry
Bonapartes Retreat
Original Dixieland Onestep
Land of Dreams
Mahogany Hall Stomp
Royal Garden Blues
Chesapeake Bay
Lazy River
Milenburg Joys
Margie
High Society
I'm Going Home
Farewell Blues

Phil O'Rourke
Australia

> Bill and All,
> I have one CD issued by GHB in 1994, entitled "The Basin Street Six: the
Complete Circle Recordings."  Musicians:  Girard tpt, Fountain cl & #4 tenor
sax, Joe Rotis tbn, Roy Zimmerman p, Bunny Franks sb, and Charlie Duke dr.
> Tracks 1-9, Aug. 2, 1950; tracks 10-12, Nov. 3, 1950.  All recorded in New
Orleans
> Tunes:
> Margie (vocal Girard)
> Farewell Blues
> That's a Plenty #1
> That's a Plenty #2
> Up a Lazy River
> Jazz Me Blues
> I'm Going Home
> High Society
> South Rampart Street Parade
> Mahogany Hall Stomp (previously unissued)
> World's Waiting for the Sunrise (previously unissued)
> Waiting for the Robert E. Lee
>
> One can only wonder "Why no Tin Roof?"  Maybe it wasn't a Circle
recording.

>      Rae Ann

> From: Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au>
> > My Strictly Dixie LP, mentioned by me earlier, contains the following
tunes:
> > Panama
> > Sunday
> > Hindustan
> > I Can't Give You Anything But Love
> > Melancholy Rhapsody
> > My Inspiration
> > That's A Plenty
> > Tin Roof Blues
> > Muskrat Ramble
> > Farewell Blues
> > When It's Sleepy Time Down South
> > Basin Street Stomp
> >
> > Dear Rae Ann,
> > Thank you for the information, which allowed me to track it all down.
> > Unfortunately, the discographies of Pete Fountain I have access to are
> > incomplete and have a few errors thrown in.
> > I have all the sides above (apart from "My Inspiration") on a copy CD
made
> > by a mate from his well-loved LPs.
> > A few skips, but at least I have the music.
> > Playing it now.
> > I also have a 10" Mercury LP from my youth (MG 2511 recorded 19 Sept
1951)
> > with the last 6 tunes on your list, plus two others, "Margie" and 'Lazy
> > River".
> > And I certainly agree with your assessment of "Tin Roof Blues". Great
Pete