[Dixielandjazz] Re: George Girard and the Basin Street Six

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Tue May 16 20:04:39 PDT 2006

Just checked my LP collection and found Vik LX-1063, Dixieland
Festival, Volume II, Stomping at the Famous Door - George Girard and
his New Orleans Five.  A great record.

Personnel:

George Girard - Trumpet

Harry Shields - Clarinet

Bob Havens - Trombone

Bob Discom - Piano

Emile Christian - Bass

Paul Edwards - Drums

Tunes:

Mahogany Hall Stomp
Chinatown My Chinatown
Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans
Da-Da Strain
St. Louis Blues
Sweethearts on Parade
Original Dixieland One-Step
Dark Eyes
Wang Wang Blues
Mama Don't Allow It
Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone
Beale Street Blues

Recorded at the Parisian Room, New Orleans, June 12, 1956.

This would have been just 7 months before his death.

Roger Wade
Really Old Records
www.reallyoldrecords.com

On May 16, 2006, at 9:42 PM, Phil O'Rourke wrote:

> There is also a 504 CD (505 CD16) which is erroneously titled "Pete
> Fountain
> and his Basin Street Six". If memory serves me (and sometimes it is on
> strike) George Girard was the leader.
> 504 do not give any recording information apart from the fact that
> it was
> recorded in New Orleans. It is also not a great sounding reproduction.
>
> Tunes:
> Waiting for the Robert E Lee
> South Rampart Street
> Angry
> Bonapartes Retreat
> Original Dixieland Onestep
> Land of Dreams
> Mahogany Hall Stomp
> Royal Garden Blues
> Chesapeake Bay
> Lazy River
> Milenburg Joys
> Margie
> High Society
> I'm Going Home
> Farewell Blues
>
> Phil O'Rourke
> Australia
>

>> Bill and All,
>> I have one CD issued by GHB in 1994, entitled "The Basin Street
>> Six: the
> Complete Circle Recordings."  Musicians:  Girard tpt, Fountain cl &
> #4 tenor
> sax, Joe Rotis tbn, Roy Zimmerman p, Bunny Franks sb, and Charlie
> Duke dr.
>> Tracks 1-9, Aug. 2, 1950; tracks 10-12, Nov. 3, 1950.  All
>> recorded in New
> Orleans
>> Tunes:
>> Margie (vocal Girard)
>> Farewell Blues
>> That's a Plenty #1
>> That's a Plenty #2
>> Up a Lazy River
>> Jazz Me Blues
>> I'm Going Home
>> High Society
>> South Rampart Street Parade
>> Mahogany Hall Stomp (previously unissued)
>> World's Waiting for the Sunrise (previously unissued)
>> Waiting for the Robert E. Lee
>>
>> One can only wonder "Why no Tin Roof?"  Maybe it wasn't a Circle
> recording.
>>
>>      Rae Ann

>>> Sunday