[Dixielandjazz] Brown Skin

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Fri Mar 31 22:28:48 PST 2006

Dear Bill,

You asked :

"Although I have details and reissues of a few Jimmy Blythe piano rolls, I
have no information regarding this suspected "Brown Skin Mama".
Do you have the original roll details?
Was your midi taken from a reissue disc or direct from a roll?"

The Blythe piano roll is Capitol 2150, a multi-tune roll for use on a
nickelodeon (a coin-operated machine which is triggered by dropping a coin
into a slot. One tune is played then the machine stops until it is fed
again). Brown Skin Mama is tune #2 on this roll. I probably have it
somewhere but finding it in my chaotic storage system would be a major
undertaking!

I took the midi from the internet where literally thousands of piano roll
midis are available for free download. Check out this URL for some examples
:

http://members.shaw.ca/smythe/archive.htm

Many thanks to you, Louis Lince and Dick Baker for confirming that Blythe
was the composer, I suspected as much because the roll performance bears
many of his unmistakeable trademarks.

John Farrell