[Dixielandjazz] Two Female Qiestions

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Fri Mar 31 11:19:02 PST 2006

In my dotage I forgot to point out that Ilse was, I think, a German native, or very fluent in the language--she even coached Herr Major Miller to "sprechen", and Johnny Desmond to "singen" as part of the script. On the other side of the Channel, Nazi propaganda substituted depressing words in English for well known songs-- "St Louis Blues" became the '"Blackout Blues" sung by "A Negro From The London Docks"--
"I hate to see that evenin' sun go down;
 I hate to see that evenin' sun go down,
 'cause the German, he done bombed this town."
This and more adulterated verse is in "Hitler's Airwaves" by Bergmeier and Lotz, (Yale University Press, 1997, with a CD). Cheers.
Fred