[Dixielandjazz] Sheet music sources.

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 30 08:31:05 PST 2006

There are quite a few university libraries that have scanned-in (digital) copies of
old sheet music (from before about 1926, the current shut-off for public domain)
I just went back to Univ of Colo at Boulder and they have a large number of ragtime
era sheet music reproductions (including the rather interesting and frequently non-pc
covers.) You can download them.
Go to http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/music/smp/browse.html

Also, if you go to just  http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/
and then type "ragtime" (no quotes) into the search bar and search
you get quite a number of interesting hits (which I have not really explored,
but plan to.)

Other universities whose libraries include sheet music are:
Baylor,
Brown,
Duke,
Yale (the Goodman arr. collection - NOT downloadable)
Indiana State
U Colorado
Mississippi (State?)
North Texas
UCLA
UNH also has a collection, but not on line - I haven't gone over
there yet, but plan to, It's not too far from me.
(I'll dig out the URLs [link addresses] and post them later.)

I'm sure there are others.

As you can see some have the actual sheet music on line,
others just list what they have and you have to go there to copy them,
or possible request they be copied for you -- it depends.

Normally if the music is on line, you have to display it page by page and
the right click the image and select save picture (or image) as: and save
it to your disk. You could also just print it I suppose. I choose to save them
THEN print.

By the way the public library in San Jose  has a vast collection of music
which frequently shows up when I search for titles.
 ---- but you have to go there to copy it. (Any volunteers?)
To get an idea of some of it go to: http://www.sjlibrary.org/research/special/music_coll/

Regards,
Craig Johnson
"The Maine Street Paraders"
http://mainely-jazz.com/
 - Site of a growing (1700+) list of lead sheets that I have done from some of
these sources and from the Chas. Anderson Collection, the Firehouse JB fake book.
from midi files found on the web and other sources.
(They are NOT on line - just the list which I'll update soon)