[Dixielandjazz] Gold CDR's

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Mar 29 05:15:15 PST 2006

The gold colored CDR has a stable organic dye called Phthalocyanine that
causes the gold color.  It is found normally on CDR's destined for
professional audio use only (not computer data), and costs considerably
more.  The propaganda reads "resulting in exceptional recording accuracy &
is less susceptible to the harmful effects of UV exposure".

I use CDR's as Masters once I have finished the Mastering process in my
studio of a finished audio product.  I keep a safety copy on DAT tape, and a
data backup of all mixing automation & audio on Exabyte digital tape.

All copying to CDR is done at real time speed.  Under these circumstances,
the discs have an archival life in excess of 100 yrs (proven by accellerated
tests by the people who sell these jobbers!).

If you copy at higher speeds than real time, on lesser & lesser quality
discs, then.....  But, how long do you really wish them to last (assuming
the average age of members on DJML is at least hovering around 55!)?

Jim
p.s. Don't ask me any technical questions about words like Phthal...etc.  I
just spit out the bits I know.  All the goodies you're doing to the music
inside your computers is not exactly great quality, no matter what the
program you are using.  And, copying at high speeds just isn't, well,
"musical".  Handy, quick, good for listening to your own material...that's
fine!  Don't ask for too much.......