[Dixielandjazz] Gig Pay

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 28 07:19:40 PST 2006

Larry Swain wrote (polite snip)

> However, please recall that, back when we got $25 (today's $200) per man, we
> were 16- or 17-yr-old kids with about 1-3 years experience playing together at
> high-school French Club dances. Not seasoned, experienced pros playing the
> chamber music I like best.  I still see a sad picture that I wish I could do
> something about!

True enough, but there is something one can do about it. We can hire kids to
play with our bands. e.g. I am about to firm up on two dates for 11 year old
Jonathan Russell with our band as we speak. One pays him $250, the other
$350. He is soon to be 11, not yet a seasoned pro and at those prices, IMO a
bargain.

I realize it is not quite the same thing as those casuals we used to play as
teens, but in these days of changing entertainment scenes, it is a start.

Cheers,
Steve