[Dixielandjazz] The psychology of "American Idol"?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 28 07:08:56 PST 2006

Perhaps the following e mail ad from American Express explains it better
than any of us can.

------
American Express invites you to be a star ...

Enter by May 1, 2006 for your chance to win

Dear Cardmember,

You could win the ultimate Hollywood experience.  Enter now to win a walk-on
role in the Showtime television series "Huff," an exclusive opportunity for
American Express® Cardmembers.

Enter now for your chance to win!  The last day to enter to win this
exclusive opportunity is May 1, 2006.

Make your television debut in the SHOWTIME award-winning  Huff, starring
Hank Azaria and Paget Brewster with Blythe Danner and Oliver Platt.  Guest
stars include Sharon Stone and Anjelica Huston.

Your ultimate Hollywood experience will include a walk-on role in one
television episode of Huff and a VIP prize package that includes a trip to
Los Angeles for you and a guest and complementary resort stay  spa
treatment.

Enter now for your chance to win - the paparazzi await!

---------

American Express figures this kind of ad will help them get more business.
It also appeals to the cream of the crop credit card customers, not the
deadbeats.

Idol is not about the music, but about the audience's desire to be a star.
Or at least the ego driven desire to say to oneself, "Hey if that idiot can
get up there, sing and be a star, so can I. After all, I am better."

Nope, not about the music, but about ego driven ENTERTAINMENT. Now, how can
we translate that into popularizing Dixieland? Let me count the ways.

Cheers,
Steve