[Dixielandjazz] GIG PAY

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 28 07:34:47 PST 2006

Elazar wrote from Israel about playing a wedding for $150 a man for 4 hours.
He mentioned that they told him his quote was the lowest by far, and that he
is adding at least 50% more to his next wedding quote.

Shalom Elazar:

If you were here in the USA I would advise pricing no lower than $100 per
man . . . per hour. So, for a 4 hour wedding, quote $2000 for your 5 piece
band. MINIMUM.

Typically, for normal weddings, I quote 3 hours (or less) at $2100 for a 6
piece band. Additional hours at $600.

If it is a high profile "Society" wedding with singer and tuxes, the quote
goes up substantially. The high profile wedding bands get as much as $10,000
for these gigs so why shouldn't we?

Once had another Dixieland band leader say in astonishment about my wedding
pricing (I Had hired him as a  sideman):

"Obviously those people had no idea what they should pay for a band."

Nothing could be more wrong than that idea. It was he who had no idea what
one should charge for a band.

Price too high? Most the client can do is say no, or negotiate lower.

Cheers,
Steve