[Dixielandjazz] Technique & Feeling

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 24 06:56:09 PST 2006

"Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote

> I don't really like that Subject title, as it looks as though it has to be
> one or the other. An approach no one has given this particular subject is from
> the musician's angle....
>
> ....believe me, there is nothing worse than not being able to get an idea
> out of the horn because you need that bit more of technique to make it
> happen!
>
> It happens to everyone once in awhile.  Whether they will admit to it is
> another matter!

Yessir Jim.

To repeat, if I may, there is nothing worse than not having enough technique
to get one's idea out of the horn. You nailed it shut.

Also agree, as the initiator of the thread, that it should not be about one
or the other. All musicians have varying degrees of both.

When we listen to the acknowledged jazz masters we usually hear plenty of
technical brilliance. Armstrong (in his time), Goodman, Shaw, Bechet, Bix,
Clifford Brown, Hawkins, Young, etc., etc., etc. And they all had plenty of
feeling to go with that technique. Whether self taught or classically
trained.

For those who believe feeling is king, then (1) what trumpeter would you say
is the king of feeling, and (2) Where does he/she rank with those technical
feeling masters like Pops, Dizzy, Brownie, Miles, Maynard, Sandoval, etc?

Cheers,
Steve