[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver and Frank Guarente

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat Mar 18 19:22:36 PST 2006

Hello all

Chris Tyle mentions that "King Oliver took lessons from Italian-born
trumpeter  Frank Guarente when he lived for a couple of years in New
Orleans. Oliver reciprocated by helping Guarente learn how to play jazz ... "

I've seen this, and similar, comments over the years but I've never seen a
reference to a contemporary source. Dick Sudhalter, in "Lost Chords", shows
the trail starting in 1940 (with a Downbeat article by Ken Farnsworth) and
coming down to us via Paul Specht (in French, 1951 and English, 1960);
Horst Lange (in German), 1957-58; Giuseppe Barrazzetta, 1966; and Les
Erskine, 1980.

I've not seen any of the articles and am wondering if any DJMLer has.
Specht was the bandleader who formed the Guarente-led band-within-a-band,
"The Georgians" and his views may be definitive.

Any help? - Bill or Fred?

Anton