[Dixielandjazz] Re: There'll Come A Day/Time

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 15 22:31:06 PST 2006

For some of those DJMLers listening in. You may need your delete finger at
the ready.
The following is not for the faint-hearted.

Dear Craig,
As is usual for you, another interesting question, full of potential.
The Anderson reference to a song "There'll Come a Day" by Shelton Brooks
would seem to be an error.
The title of the Brooks' 1911 composition was "There'll Come a Time".
***Refer more below***
Shelton Brooks as many will know was famous as the composer of "Some Of
These Days", "At The Darktown Strutters Ball" and 'Walkin' The Dog".
The only "There'll Come a Day" that I can find is a Jimmy Blythe tune
recorded in August 1927 by The Dixie-Land Thumpers and The State Street
Ramblers.
But back to "There'll Come a Time".
The next reference to a tune of this name appeared in the Vocalion files for
2 Dec 1927 as "There'll Come a Time When You'll Need Me" credited to Joe
'Wingy Mannone and Miff Mole'. The two titles from the session, shown in
Rust's Jazz records, have presumably never been found. If so, we would
surely have expected them to be on the recent Wingy/Prima Mosaic CD set.
The personnel for the unissued date has been given as Wingy, t; Jack
Teagarden, tb; Sidney Arodin, cl; Terry Shand, p; Benny Pottle, sb; Tommy de
Rose, d.
I note that you have given a subtitle "(Wait and See)".
The tune, credited to Manone and Mole, was recorded on 9 Jan 1928 by Frankie
Trumbauer and His orchestra (with Bix) and by Red Nichols and His Five
Pennies on 29 May 1928 (with Miff Mole). Miff also recorded it in 1944. It's
a great version and is on Jazzology JCD-5.
You then refer to Sheik's Fake book Vol II.
Listmate David Littlefield's fine collection: 'Dixieland Fake Book. Vol 2.
Trad.' Which I have.
What you did not mention is that Dave has indicated that "There'll Come a
Time" was recorded as "San Antonio Shout" by The New Orleans Rhythm Kings
(Decca, 12 Sept 1934 with Wingy, t; George Brunies, tb; Sidney Arodin, cl;
Terry Shand, p; Benny Pottle, sb; Bob White, d).
David Littlefield also notes that this version was used as the basis for the
Rampart Street Paraders' Columbia version made on 11 June 1957.
Why do I mention all this?
Because the composer credit for the 1934 NORK Decca version and the 1957 RSP
version is given to Terry Shand and Sidney Arodin!
No mention of Wingy or Miff Mole.
Along with Wingy, both Shand and Arodin were on the unissued Vocalion
session of 2 Dec 1927 and the Decca NORK's date.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Last lap!
On 14 June 1926 singer/female impersonator Sammie Lewis recorded a different
"There'll Come A Time" for Vocalion. I have two references which identify
this as the Shelton Brooks composition.
However, the 'Brunswick records Discography of Recordings' by Ross Laird
gives credit to Tom Delaney. (The man who wrote "Jazz Me Blues"?)
The Sammie Lewis rendition can be heard on the indispensable Red Hot Jazz
Archive site. I have it on a Document CD.
Kind regards,
Bill.
***PS: Before closing, I decided to verify your comment regarding the
Anderson fake book and checked the Index.
This is what I found:
THERE'LL COME A DAY    Irving Gordon & Lester Lee   1946
THERE'LL COME A TIME    Shelton Brooks    1911
THERE'LL COME A TIME WHEN YOU'LL NEED ME    Thomas "Fats" Waller & Joe Davis
    1927
Perhaps you misread the first title "There'll Come A DAY".
The unpublished Fats Waller/Joe Davis composition is referred to in Laurie
Wright's 'Fats in Fact'. It was copyrighted on 24 Sept 1927, renewed 27 Sept
1954.
There is also a reference to a June 1926 composition, "There'll Come a Time
When You'll Want Me" - and Clarence Williams.
The other Tom Lord's Clarence Williams' book gives its full title as
"There'll Come a Time When You'll Need Me and I Won't Have Time For You".
Not a complete tie-in either.
I'm tired and I want to have my dinner!
Good Evening and Good Luck.
Bill.