Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Miles Davis Inducted into Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 22:09:17 PST 2006

Speaking of Rock & ROLL

Just so some of you on this great list can always learn something new
 from it if you choose to or ever bother to research or ask and since
Mike brought up the name of the "Headhunters"  who Herbie Hancock
joined ( no he did not found the group)  nor did he write all their hit
songs either.   The original HeadHunters  group that Herbie joined  was
composed of James Levi, drums, Carl Lockett guitar, Paul Jackson, B-3
Organ /vocals & Bass Guitar, ( considered by Bass Player Magazine as
the World's Best)  John Turk on trumpet,  now the Music Director of
Glide Memorial Church in San Francisco. Bernie Maupin sax and Bill
Summers on Percussion, who has played with every major Jazz recording
artist in the business from Ramsey Lewis to Stevie Wonder.

All of whom except Bernie Maupin and New Orleans, Bill Summers who
moved away from the Bay Area, and back to New Orleans, were also in the
founding members of  Tom Wiggins brain child, Saint Gabriel's Celestial
Brass Band and have toured or played concerts with us off and on since
1990.  After James Levi had to undergo double hip replacement and knee
surgeries he retired from the marching band unit and was replaced by
Minor Williams on drums and vocals,  who came from George Clinton's
Band, Isaacc Hayes Band , The Gap Band and Parliment Funkadelic and his
cousin Lenny Williams band from Tower of Power,
The original lineup also included Cornelius  "Snooky" Flowers on Bari
Sax, ( Janis Joplin's Band Big Brother & the Holding Co.) and Sonny
Lewis on Soprano Sax" Breeno Brown on Tenor Sax and Kevin Lockett on
Trombone, and George Alexander on Trumpet, Al Hassan Wardlow on
Trombone who did 20 years with Sun Ra Arkestra)  All Gold Record
recording groups as I recall.

   Angelo Luster replaced Snooky on Bari,Sax and Jose Hernandez of
Sacramento and long time Jimmy Smith's Sax man replaced Sonny Lewis on
Soprano, and Sonny Fairley joined on alto sax in 1998, and Harley White
Jr. from Sacramento on Sousaphone.  From the Sacramento Lancers
marching band no less.     Snooky Flowers, James Levi and Paul Jackson,
and George Alexander and Al Hassan Wardlow still appear from time to
time for concert dates when their health allows.  But they can no
longer tour with the marching band.    Carl Lockett doubles on drums
and keyboards and guitar and vocals

Just for the record.   And Now You Know !

   No we did not play with Bix or Louis or Sidney, or Benny Goodman, or
the house Dixieland band at Disneyland,  but we ain't exactly nobody's
in show business either.   Yet we can't buy a Dixieland Festival gig no
matter what songs we play. :))   So we go all over the world playing
Major Jazz and Blues Festivals and playing what ? a lot
of pretty funky New Orleans Traditional Jazz and so called  Dixieland
music.

Are we having fun as a Quasi Rock Band playing Dixieland and other OKOM
music, you bet we are and we play to a young audience as well as an old
one and guess what they both like us .   And we lay down the most
Spiritual New Orleans Funeral you will ever hear, people just die to
hear our music,  and yes you can use our PRE NEED plan and find out for
yourself.  :))

It's very simple:  PAY NOW DIE LATER  we will be there ,   Or you can
really do it correctly and have your own Funeral now and attend it
yourself now there is a novel idea :))   If you are a musician you can
say you played at your own funeral if you sit in.

Cheers,

Tom