[Dixielandjazz] Music theory---coda II Long post, feel free to delete

Robert Reck reckeuph at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 13 19:59:37 PST 2006

I thought I would let this post play out and see if I might have something to add.   The list can be the judge.

  First: If you are playing great, who cares how you got it done?

  I was always glued to the printed page until I got some understanding of chords and how they work.  However, it was not the pencil and paper theory that helped me attain whatever skill I have.. You must have the knowledge in your ears and your fingers.  If you hear a lick and can play it back, then you have it.  I can't play back a bebop lick, but I am good with bass lines....  In theory class, they give you a key and expect you to write it down.  On the band stand, you know the key and you hear it (either in your head or from another player) and you know what they are doing.  It is not even important that you be able to name the or write the rhythm down so long as you can play it, at least in OKOM. Some jazz players (Miles Davis was one) are noted for their ability to be able to name the notes a soloist was playing at any given time, but many fine players are not so skilled.  For me, learning the chords on the piano and in theory class was a jump start to my playing, such as it is.

  You can tell from listening to Louis Armstrong (others too..) that he as an exquisite knowledge of how the chords and notes function in communicating musical thought.  In my book that is the same as knowing "music theory" as it relates to his instrument.

  There are two kinds of players, those that use music theory and know it, and those that use music theory and don't know it.  For heavens sake, you have to play your instrument to learn the kind of theory that will help you in any kind of improvised music.

  On the other hand, I can write music down as well, and that does require a good dose of jazz theory.....  It is a nice skill to have if you are so inclined.  To see if I know whereof I speak you can check out the chart called "Almost Summer" on my web page.  It is a straight ahead big band chart.  Lead sheets are free....  In fact, I will sent a free score and parts to the first list member that asks if anyone is interested.  If you are outside the USA I will have to emal PDF files to you.... Make the request off list please...

  Rob