[Dixielandjazz] Set Lists

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 13 14:24:56 PST 2006

The prospective audience determines whether or not we use a set list. E.G.

VENUES: Concert Halls; Retirement Communities, Public Parks, Festivals, Jazz
Societies. etc.,

Above venues we use a set list. Because usually we are not up close and
personal with the audience, most of these instances are return engagements.
So, we use a list of tunes and we save the lists from year to year so as not
to repeat tunes. We feel we know these audiences well enough to script the
entire program.

VENUES: Clubs, Weddings, Restaurants, Fund Raisers, Private Parties, Trio
and Quartet Songbook gigs, etc.

We do not use a set list for them. Because usually we are up close and
personal with the audience and each one of these is different night to night
and there is usually some alcohol imbibed as well as the full moon effect.
We start with a rouser and go from there.

I carry an alphabetical list of the most popular 150 Dixieland Songs (IMO)
and refer to it after my solo to pick the next tune and am ready with it
when we end the current one. For the trio/quartet gigs I carry a small book
of 2000 American Songbook songs, alpha, by year, by composer, by show, by
Academy Award winner through about 1995. Fits in my back pocket. (No longer
available so don't ask for source)

After each number, we gauge the audience reaction, note girl to boy ratio,
and play what we think they will like from our lists. Changing the repartee
to fit the audience. We always play requests unless they are completely out
of genre or otherwise unpalatable.

Worked with a pianist in a trio yesterday. He had Max Morath's 150 most
requested tune list. One page alphabetically. If you can get a copy of it,
you may find it useful for Songbook gigs. We worked from it for 2 hours.

All of the lists mentioned also have the Key.

Cheers,
Steve