Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Miles Davis Inducted into Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 14:32:48 PST 2006

Steve Barbone picked up on this article in the The New York Times  Arts
Section Sunday and I'm glad he did. It raises an interesting question about  the
value of music "categories." The article points out that many people  are
unhappy with Miles being called a rocker--even though he contributed to  early Rock
development--but that Miles himself didn't mind being called one. The  article
seemed to be asking a question it never clearly articulated: Is Miles a
Rocker or a Jazzer? And if he's a jazz artist, does he qualify as a great
OKOM-type jazz artist? Now I see why they invented the term "fusion" to describe
where jazz is going. Why should we care about these fences around musical
categories?

Dan (Backup Pianoman) Spink