[Dixielandjazz] Set list

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon Mar 13 17:14:51 PST 2006

Jim Kashishian said:
["The following was a paragraph at the end of one of messages awhile back.  It
might be an interesting thread.  My personal feelings are that I don't like
to make a song list.  Too strict, and doesn't allow the band to mold the
evening depending on audience reaction, or the band's mood.
... Snip . . . . .
How do others approach this?  Strict set list, set list that is later
improvised, no set list...?? I suppose this will be influenced, also, by how
often a band performs, or how many songs they might know!
Jim"]

I agree that this subject could make an interesting thread and I would certainly like to hear about the various approaches - some of which have already been mentioned.
I will start by saying that I always have set lists and I also have the times for sets shown at the top. I do not object to putting one of my lists up for a critique. This was my list for last week's gig with the Morton Bay Jazzband at the Indian restaurant:

The Moreton Bay Jazzband - Gig list  8.3.06
      (The Spice Avenue Balti Restaurant, Birkdale - (07) 3822 9822)

First Set  (7.00 - 7.40):
It's A Sin To Tell A Lie (C)
There'll Be Some Changes Made (Bb)
Rosetta (F)
Ain't Misbehavin' (Eb)
I'm Puttin' All My Eggs In One Basket (Bb)
At The Codfish Ball (F)
Exactly Like You (Bb)
Sweet Georgia Brown (Ab)

Second Set  (7.50 - 8.40):
Black And Blue (Bb)
Bourbon Street Parade (F)
River Boat Shuffle (Gm-Eb)
Bei Mir Bist Du Schon (Gm)
Indiana (Back Home Again In)  (F)
Someday (You'll Be Sorry) (Eb)
Fidgety Feet (Bb-Ab)
New Orleans (Bb)

Third Set  (8.50 - 9.30 or thereabouts):
Bye Bye Blackbird (F)
Coney Island Washboard (Bb)
Sleepy Time Gal (F)
All By Myself (Bb)
Big Butter and Egg Man (F)
Pennies From Heaven (Yvonne Vocal) (C)
Doctor Jazz (Eb)
At The Jazzband Ball (Bb)

The band members are mainly professionals who, due to the diabolical music scene in Australia, are mostly teaching these days. But we make it a point to have a couple of real youngsters in the band to bring them along with OKOM. Our base player is only 16 and a student of our leader/trumpet player - who is better known as a pro bass player.
I believe that having a list makes the whole performance tighter. I really hate it when bands take time out to discuss what they are going to play next. I also hate it when bands discuss amongst themselves the order of playing the multi-thematic tunes that are very common to Dixieland. How many ways are there to do 'Muskat Ramble' for instance? So my solution is to give every band member a book of lead/chord sheets that also shows the sequence of playing themes. The rhythm section usually needs them for the chords anyway and it at least ensures that we are all playing the same chord progressions - particularly the youngsters, who generally are not totally familiar with the tunes. These books are in alphabetical order so that tunes can be found quickly. I know some jazz pros consider that having music stands on the stage is a bit infra dig and I would be interested to know what listmates think about this?
My approach to compiling the order of tunes is based on mixing up the keys and the tempos. If you play three tunes in Bb it can get to sound a bit 'samey'. And if you are catering for dancers (Oh, Yes Please!) you have to give them a bit of a 'breather' every so often by playing a ballad or a slow blues. If the gig list is proving to be entirely unsuitable then we do have a master list of the repertoire so that we can make adjustments. However, I find this is rarely necessary.
Our leader/trumpet player controls exact tempos and the endings. This does introduce a small element of the unknown. Especially his endings! (wink)
For me the play lists and lead/chord sheets are essential and I use them for all of the bands where I have the control over the repertoire. I strive to make the band presentation as 'slick' as possible -  no pun intended here but we are big Eddie Condon fans. I also like to give informative announcements about the source of tunes, famous recordings etc., and some of this information is obtained from the typed notes on my lead sheets.
If you were wondering about the suitability of Dixieland/Traditional Jazz in an Indian restaurant, I would point out that the owner chose the Bayside area for the restaurant because his style of Indian cuisine is Balti. Balti was invented in the UK and is what most Pommies prefer. Bayside, there are more Pommies per square mile than anywhere else in South East Queensland and most of them (us) are baby boomers and were raised on British Trad Jazz. So it is a good fit marketing wise.
We are on again tomorrow. "So, where the bloody hell are you?" Topical Australian tourism gag.
I'll need to look into this 'full moon' business.
Best,
Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com