[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Hooks

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 12 20:26:36 PST 2006

Tom mentioned list mate Charlie Hooks who passed away a while back.

To those who didn't know him, he was a fine clarinet player, a hip jazzman,
a fine teacher and an intelligent man, happily married to an intelligent
woman, Lornetta.

Charlie and I had some great arguments on this list. But they paled in
comparison to some arguments we had on another list. A political viewpoint
lists. Yessir, folks on that list had some real wing dings. To the others,
our battles may have seemed monumental because we were political opposites
and you know the saying about subjects never to discuss with friends;
Religion, Sex, and Politics. We'd fight about all three, because we were
passionate believers.

But, we also wrote to each other privately and became good friends and we
respected each others views. And every once in a while I chat with Lornetta,
a teacher who doesn't take kindly to the "blame the teachers" attitudes that
some of us (not me) on the list have.

Charlie Hooks, fine adversary, fine man, Damn it, I miss him too Tom. He
knew how to be a man and I think though we never laid eyes on each other, he
was a buddy. He accepted people for who they were, warts and all. Could
teach us all a thing or two.

Cheers,
Steve