[Dixielandjazz] Re: Music theory

Stephen Heist steveheist at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 12 10:24:22 PST 2006

Hi all...
Well, here's my 2 cents...  I have to take a little issue with (to
paraphrase) the "don't delve too much into theory" comment...  ANY
knowledge of your craft is beneficial IF you use it correctly!  Learning
scales and then just playing scales all night is an example of learning
something of value and then applying it incorrectly...  The knowledge isn't
the fault - it's the application of the knowledge...
To become a good solid player, you have to find your own style and then
learn everything you can to bolster your playing and add to it.
And to quote a old friend of mine, "It's not the notes you play that are as
important as the spaces between the notes!"
ALL the BEST,
Steve Heist

You can NOW visit my NEW website and check my schedule at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~steveheist/
Drop on by today!

He's