[Dixielandjazz] Music theory

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Sun Mar 12 11:08:41 PST 2006

In a message dated 3/11/2006 2:27:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kwg28 at sbcglobal.net writes:

I have  become quite interested in learning elements of music theory.  Been
reading
from books, from the internet, wherever----I find it  fascinating.  I now know
something (stress that word) about the  mathematics of the tempered scale,
functions of the various seventh chords,  basic harmony etc, etc.

I do this because of curiosity, not because I  expect that it will
necessarily improve
my modest skill level on the  clarinet.

Here's my question.  Can any of you that play  well enough to perform cite an
example of some aspect of music theory that  has enabled you to raise your
skill level?  Especially in the area of  improvisation.

The best book I ever came across about music theory as it applies to jazz  is
Improvising Jazz by Jerry Coker...here is a link to it:
_http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IJ&Category_Code=JERCOKBOO_
(http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IJ&Catego
ry_Code=JERCOKBOO)

This book treats the chord changes in a numerical fashion so that  regardless
of the base key, you can use the changes.  He categorizes the  most common
changes and talks about how group can learn to improvise  together.  I see that
Don Mopsick has also treated the chords as numbers,  but Coker's book will put
all together in one place for your benefit.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers Jazz Band
'we ain't just  whistlin' dixie!"
585-415-3985  Cell