[Dixielandjazz] Re: Music theory

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Mar 12 12:27:14 PST 2006

I guess I should have added - if you try to do it while you improvise.  I
think it's fine to study it before and after but while actually doing it???
Maybe someone else's brain works differently than mine I don't know but I
just don't have time to do all that.  I hear it and go.

 I wholly agree with you that you can't learn too much theory but there is a
down side to that too.  An example is have you heard any accomplished opera
singer try to sing pop or jazz?  It typically just isn't in them because
they have over trained or at least that's what I think causes it.

Now I think it might be a whole different ball game if you were a keyboard
player.  I'm coming at this from a horn player's standpoint.

You said a mouth full that time.  I'm sure that I would enjoy it a whole lot
more than I did if I had a gifted teacher in theory but I didn't.

No one taught me to improvise and certainly the college I went to didn't.
If anything they saw it as very detrimental to what they were trying to
accomplish.  I caught a lot of heat for playing in the night clubs.
Larry
St. Louis