[Dixielandjazz] Music theory

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 11 11:27:40 PST 2006

Listmates---
I have become quite interested in learning elements of music theory.  Been reading
from books, from the internet, wherever----I find it fascinating.  I now know
something (stress that word) about the mathematics of the tempered scale,
functions of the various seventh chords, basic harmony etc, etc.

I do this because of curiosity, not because I expect that it will necessarily improve
my modest skill level on the clarinet.

Here's my question.  Can any of you that play well enough to perform cite an
example of some aspect of music theory that has enabled you to raise your
skill level?  Especially in the area of improvisation.

Ken Gates