[Dixielandjazz] Re: Music theory - my 2c

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 12 07:58:35 PST 2006

Ken Gates wrote:
I have become quite interested in learning elements of music theory.
---------------------
My opinion, for what it's worth.
There are musicians with gifted ears + the ability to translate what they are hearing on their axe.
This includes reading and improvisation.
Knowledge of music theory would perhaps enhance what they do but certainly would not inhibit it.

There are others who can read and play a plethera of notes and haven't a clue as to the
musical content.

I read most of the long and short tirades about teaching music in the school.
I agreed with most of the negative comments although I teach both privately and in a school.
It's funny that someone mentioned John Mehegan. Back in the 50's and 60's I had an office
just a few blocks away from him. I can't count the number of his dropouts I picked up from J.M.,
as students and got them going in the music world.

Back in 1960 I typed up a paper explaining the purpose, methodology and ideology of teaching
music. (Piano in particular but applicable to anything).
Although the word is never mentioned, music theory is included in every lesson.
* Theory is NOT memorizing but understanding.
I strongly recommend THE SHAPING FORCES OF MUSIC ny Ernst Toch for starters.
To paraphrase Duke "things aint what they seem to be".

If you are curious as to my thoughts the paper (Brochure) is on my web site.

I can't remember the direct link but directions to get there are
    Main Page ------> School ------> Piano Lessons -----> Brochure
Fair warning! it's a lot of pages.

Due the urging of some of my students I recently started "teaching" via email.
It is a little awkward but it's working. The reponses to my surprise have been
marvelous.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com