[Dixielandjazz] Differing Opinions

CreightB at aol.com CreightB at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 11:15:14 PST 2006

This from a lurker that has been on the list almost from the beginning.
There have been several "Flame Wars" over the years that have driven some very
knowledgeable musicians off the list.  There was even one flamer that never
identified him/herself and got on everyone's nerves.

One person that left the list long ago is Chris Tyle.  I always enjoyed his
posts and depth of knowledge of OKOM.  As I recall, his dislike of four-beat
tuba was the issue that led to his leaving.  That was, to me, a huge loss.
Let's not have more.

Steve Barbone and Tom Wiggins have opinions; sometimes quite strong ones.
But, they speak from their experience and share a lot in that regard.  I use the
digest for the list and just check the thread subject to see if I want to
read anything at all.  Not being a musician but being a fan and collector of
anything from Teens to Forties that tickles my fancy, I do enjoy most of their
posts as well as other musicians -- but I have to admit that some totally escape
me as I have never played anything but the player piano I rebuilt years ago.