[Dixielandjazz] Leaving is over-rated!

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 9 17:33:27 PST 2006

Steve, Tom and List Mates,

I just can't let this pass, specially after seeing both Steve and Tom
say they are leaving the list.

First, I rarely post though I've subscribed to the DJML for several
years.  I am a 58-year-old lifelong OKOM fan who shares that
affliction with his 83-year-old father.  I am not a musician.  My
father played drums professionally in Boston before WWII.  He tells
me he was hooked for life after first hearing Bob Crosby's Bob Cats
on a blue label Decca in a used record store in Scollay Square,
Boston at age 14 or 15.

Anyway, though I am not a musician I enjoy and appreciate the insight
into the music business provided regularly by Steve and Tom, and less
often by others.  My youngest son is a singer/songwriter who also
appreciates those messages I forward to him that are of value to any
aspiring musician, OKOM or not.

Steve and Tom write long informative posts, seemingly tirelessly, not
to brag but to share information that may be of value or interest to
other musicans or to people interested in what it takes to succeed in
a very tough business.

Steve and Tom, please note that of all the posts generated by Mike
Vax's unfortunate critical posting, I noticed only two that supported
his views of your contributions.  All of the other posts were
appreciative of the effort you two have put into sharing your
experiences with us.

I noticed some posts that, like mine, were from members who seldom
post.  That should tell you that your leaving the DJML will not be
met with glee by any but a few curmudgeons who apparently interpret
all of your remarks as aimed at them.  Sadly Bob Ringwald, whom I
respect, seemed to agree with the negative posters.  Perhaps he and/
or they were just having a bad day.

So, please don't leave us.  Your contributions are more appreciated
than you know.  Heck, you even brought me out of the shadows to post
on this subject.

Best regards,

Roger Wade
Really Old Records