[Dixielandjazz] Leaving is over-rated!

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Thu Mar 9 23:17:48 PST 2006

Shalom Steve and Tom, and listmates,

I had a teaching gig up north yesterday and missed most of the controversy.
I am sad to hear that certain nay-sayers have made either of you (or anyone
else) feel that you should leave the DJML. I for one have benefited much
from both of your experience, and your willingness to take a lot of time to
write it out and share it with us on the list. No doubt it is like giving
medicine that doesn't taste good sometimes, but it is all worth hearing.
Maybe there are a few others who are working steadily and have "made it" and
find your posts tiresome, but I don't think they are the ones who are
complaining. For what it's worth, in my opinion it would be our great loss
if you leave the DJML. I hope you will reconsider, damn the torpedoes, and
hang in with us.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel
www.israel.net/ministry-of-jazz
+972-2-679-2537

P.S. Tom, thank you for the heads up about sending our CDs to the radio
station in Australia. I'm going to do it. I just today am getting some air
time on a station in Sydney who requested a disk and I sent it. A couple
weeks ago a local student station in Jerusalem played our entire 50 minute
disk during a 1-hour show. Then they closed the show with a cut from Woody
Allen's band that was similar in style to ours, and therefore my rag-tag
group of Israeli students and Russians compared favorably to Woody's
professional band. And now the DJ wants to learn banjo from me.

In other news, while my teaching gig in Tiberias is Jewish history and
literature for adults, one of the couples in the class has a 12 year old
daughter who I started on trumpet when she was 8. At the time they bought a
pocket trumpet from me because the little girl was too small to hold up a
full size horn. I met with her before the adult class every other week, for
several months and got her started, and then they found a local Russian
teacher. The gal is now playing in the community orchestra, and last night
they bought a regular trumpet from me since the pocket one looks like a toy
in the orchestra. Her teacher has been pressing her to get a "real" horn,
but we suspect it's because he wants the pocket trumpet. I was so gratified
to listen to her trying out some of her classical and jazz repertoire on the
2 horns I brought for them to choose from. If they didn't live so far away,
I'd have her playing in my trumpet ensemble.