[Dixielandjazz] Learning tunes with lead sheets

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Mar 6 18:28:26 PST 2006

Steve Barbone responds to Bill Haeslers post:

(snip)
> To specifically respond Bill, those US bands that have ears, play w/o lead
> sheets. Many older guys, in working bands, learned on the job and so can
> play over a thousand tunes never having looked at a lead sheet or chords.
> If
> the band is not a working band, lead sheets or chord charts are probably
> necessary and perhaps most bands on the DJML do not work too often.
(snip)

Steve, DJML has over 550 members.  A lot of them are professionals and while
they work often (as in my case) we do not spend time on DJML talking about
our gigs.

 Some on DJML are amateurs and sometimes need help with songs.  They are the
ones you hear from more often.  Don't assume that just because a lot of us
dont' list all of our gigs, that it means that we are not working steadily,
as you are.

--Bob Ringwald