[Dixielandjazz] Learning tunes with lead sheets

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 6 13:48:09 PST 2006

Dear Bill & List mates:

Not all bands in the USA require lead sheets to learn new tunes.

Barbone Street requires only that one player out of the Front line, or the
guitarist knows the lead. That person plays it and the rest just follow
along. Recent example was with 10 year old Jonathan who wanted to play "God
Bless The Child." He and the guitar knew it and so we played it. We also
taught Jonathan to play "If I had You" by ear, on the job. He learned it by
"listening" to the in chorus. Point being, if a musician has heard a tune
once or twice, he/she ought to be able to play it.

To specifically respond Bill, those US bands that have ears, play w/o lead
sheets. Many older guys, in working bands, learned on the job and so can
play over a thousand tunes never having looked at a lead sheet or chords. If
the band is not a working band, lead sheets or chord charts are probably
necessary and perhaps most bands on the DJML do not work too often.

Problems arise when non-jazz musicians want to play jazz. If they do not
have ears, they are totally lost without a chord chart or a lead sheet.

At the Showboat, we often have to sub for regular players. Most of the time,
those subs "get it" immediately. In fact, our regular trombone player, Clint
Sharmin never played much N.O. music in his life. But he is a pro, has good
ears and very rapidly became the best at that position. So he is willingly
granted time off to tour with Liza Minelli, or play the Radio City Christmas
show in NYC. (That's where the BIG BUCKS are) He looked at a lead sheet
once, on South Rampart Street Parade, to get the routine down and can't be
faulted for that.

I haven't look at a lead sheet for more than two minutes in the past 15
years but can play the 1000+ Dixieland songs in Tex Wyndham's book without
much trouble. After all, Dixieland is a relatively simple form of jazz.
There are only so many changes and we should know them all by rote.

The guys that do not catch on quickly are those that always ask is that a 4
chord, or are you playing the 3rd of the one chord etc. They don't "hear".
And many do not swing because they are too busy analyzing.

Like Thelonious Monk said, "No music, learn it by ear. That's why you paid
your dues." And he had some tricky rhythms and harmonics. His admonition to
Coltrane and Hawkins about "Four In One" when they asked for the music is a
classic. "The notes are in your horn, go find them."

Of course, on the other hand, if you are going to play Jazz the way Ed Metz
and the Bob Cats do, you better have a lead sheet. And that works just fine
for him as his latest CD attests. GREAT BAND. But then, they are all pros in
every sense of the word and their musical goals necessitate lead sheets.
When list mates hear that CD, they will immediately know why.

Cheers,
Steve