[Dixielandjazz] Strange Blues

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 4 19:55:26 PST 2006

"Ken Gates" <kwg28 at sbcglobal.net> wrote

> Wingy Manone is given credit for "Strange Blues"---a rather pretty tune, I
> think. I have two recorded versions----One is in the key of Db ---- This one
> use the chord A7--and the four melody notes of A7 to start the bridge.

> The other version is in the key of C --- and Ab7 (the corresponding chord, of
> course) does NOT seem to work--but Ab6 (one melody note different) does seem
> to work.

> Either way sounds okay to my ear.  But curious as to what chord and what the
> first four
> eighth notes of the bridge are used by your group.  Anybody play this tune?

Hi Ken:

I've played it as a sideman and as I recall, in Db with the first four notes
of the A7 to start the bridge.

However, that's from memory only, which has been known to falter. I think
Craig Johnson plays the tune and has the music. What say Craig?

Bopper sax man Jackie McLean also played the tune, but I think it was simply
a Blues Jam that he named "Strange Blues", not the Manone version. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve