!(Re: [Dixielandjazz] Strange Blues

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 5 21:35:12 PST 2006

I am not stating this as a "correct" description of the chords etc.
for this tune. However, as Steve Barbone has stated I do have some
music for it. It was taken directly and "as is" from the Chas. Anderson
collection of  "fake sheets."
I have always liked this tune, having become first acquanted with it from
Ray Smith's "Jazz Decades" music program where he used it as one of his
themes between sections of his program. I believe but am not sure that the
version he played was by the Bob Scobey band, but someone correct me on
that if I am wrong. It has been recorded by a number of groups as one can
see
by doing a Google search on the title. Manone, Scobey, The Uptown Lowdown JB
Marty Grosz --- that is as far as I have followed through looking at the
links. There is
one link to its recording by a group headed up by the trumpet player "Bobby
Lewis"
on that track the late, great Jim Beebe was on trombone.
The "Jackie McLean" references are to a totally different tune in a totally
different
genre.

We have played it a couple or 3 times as we've added new tunes to our
repertoire and
I intend to get it more solidly into our "book" over time. So I don't claim
as I said,
to be an expert on this song. and.......
I have NOT exercised "due diligence" and compared the chart I have directly
to any of the records to see if it is in the same key as any of them or
whether the chords
match the ones used on those records, but  it sounds right to me based on my
memory of
its playing on Ray's program.
(Charts and midi sent off-list to Ken and to Steve Barbone)

The key I have it in is concert Eb, as it came from the Anderson chart.
In that key, the first chord in the bridge for 2 measures is B natural 7
and BOTH those 2 measures are four 8th notes [B(nat), A(nat), Gb, Eb.],
 the last one tied to  a half (Eb)
: The chords in that song include a fair number of 9ths and 13ths.
Considering it's composition date (1927 according to "Anderson") it is a
bit unusual in that respect. (I love it!)

Regards,
Craig Johnson