[Dixielandjazz] Performing in Multiple Groups

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jun 26 09:51:12 PDT 2006

What's wrong with several wives?

I too play with several bands.  I consider playing with one band for a long
period of time to be a mistake.  I played with the same group (Group 3) for
about 15 years.  We worked a lot and made good money but all things come to
an end and at one point we just blew apart.  Now I had been playing about
100 gigs a year with that group and all of a sudden I'm on my own.  I really
didn't know a lot of guys and they didn't know me (musically) or what I
could do.

I had to start at the beginning playing with an almost freebee band to make
contacts and to keep my chops up.  The DJ's were starting to savage the
wedding business here and gigs were starting to drop off anyway.  Many bands
like ours had already folded.

Not a good time to look for gigs, either as a leader or as a side man.

Tom makes one good point about band loyalty but it works two ways.  Around
here the members of bands tend to be very loyal to a point of not booking
with other bands.  It's frustrating to call a piano player and have him
explain that he won't take your gig because he plays in another band and
unless you can offer him more gigs at more money he isn't interested.

As a leader you can solve the loyalty problem by using charts and find guys
that can read and fake and have at least two guys for each chair.  This
becomes problematical if you are a basement band that does all head charts.
In that case you are screwed if someone takes off on you.

I work for several bands and book my own gigs as well.  The way I do it is
that my first priority is my band and I try to book several months out if
possible.  My number one band that gives me a lot of gigs gets first
priority but he also books months out and rarely does he get last minute
gigs. My number two band books months out also and I play with them even
though they only book a half dozen gigs a year because of the prestige of
playing with that band.   Now to fill up my card there is one group that I
will take a gig a month out and there are three bands that need not call
over a week out.  If I'm free I play and if I'm not, no hard feelings.

All of these band leaders have multiple people they can call for the chairs
so if I book with one band or another they just call the next guy on the
list.  Fortunately I am fairly high up on everyone's list so I get lots of
calls and play most weekends.  Another thing, I book my bands usually during
the week and on weekend afternoons which doesn't conflict with the other
gigs.  That's one of the good things about Dixie (at least around here) and
that's you don't play on Friday and Saturday nights leaving you free to book
other things.

Tom makes a lot of good points and I'm not really disagreeing with him.
Each market is different and each one of us has a different playing
capability.  If you lived in a small town with few musicians to choose from
or possibly more limited as a player the answers would be totally different
but I live in a major metropolitan area and I meet new players all the time.

Because of the experience of being out of work for a fairly long period of
time after Group 3 folded I found out that the bands needed good subs who
could walk in and play a chair. I did have to brush up on my reading skills
though.   The bands around here tend to be social clubs who have their
favorites but there are four bands with five sax players each and on any
given Friday or Saturday night someone will want off.  Since there aren't
that many guys around that can read a book cold and play lead tenor I pick
up gigs.  Since this is what I do, band leaders expect me to turn them down
fairly often and there is no hard feelings.  They just go to the next guy in
their book.

I avoid the basement bands because while some are really good I just never
wanted to be completely joined at the hip and take myself out of circulation
again.  The biggest benefit is if I want to take off a weekend I can without
putting the whole band out of work.  When I played with Group 3 we almost
never got a weekend off and because the guys were depending on the bucks and
we had to stick together.

The most important thing is gig integrity.  First of all if you are a leader
of your own band absolutely never hand out your card on someone else's gig.
Secondly never take another gig and beg off on a job even if the gig pays a
whole lot more.  There is an exceptions to this.  My cornet player books
gigs and if either of us books a gig that conflicts we just hire someone
else.  We do this quite often especially around Mardi Gras and NY eve.  We
both have several guys we can call on.  This has cost me money but if you
beg off you will burn that bridge and burning bridges in the music business
is really bad news.

Simply put do what you say you agree to and don't interfere with the other
guys business.  This business depends on a handshake, personal contacts and
recommendations by other musicians and leaders.  If you screw that up you
might as well pack your horn now.

There are a lot of ways to commit gigacide but those are the  biggies.

The way one guy handles the image on his website is that he knows Photoshop
and if the members of the band changes he just removes their head and puts
the new guys head on the old guys body.  Cool huh?  If you want to see it
contact me off list and I will direct you to the website and tell you who
has been decapitated and added.

I solve that problem with my groups that change a lot is I engage in
shameless self promotion.  I am the star and I'm the one they are hiring.
Never mind the other guys although I do not shy away from building them up
and talking about them.  I just don't use them in my printed material.  I am
setting up a web site and may change my view on that somewhat because that's
easy to change.
Larry
St. Louis