[Dixielandjazz] Performing in Multiple Groups

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 07:20:48 PDT 2006

While I understand that you probably get more work that way Bruce, it
is akin to having several wives, :))

Would it not be a lot easier to just have one group and book it all the
time ?  when guys run all over the area playing with different groups,
they face the reality of not getting enough gigs for their own band and
often disloyalty form it's members who then see you doing it and follow
suit, this also does little for the image of the name of any of the
groups and simply turns most of them into a jam session of who ever can
show up today.   Yes I know lots of guys do it that way and have done
so for many many years, but that does not make it proper, and is no
doubt why there is a shortage of any Superstar OKOM acts in the market
place.   Ya'll have all become ALL-STARS  amongst yourselves however
the General Public has no clue who you are because the acts rarely
promote or publicize themselves and or the events they play for.   The
media is also often reluctant to get behind the name of a group that
shows up with different personnel every time and simply treat you with
little or no respect as performers.

It is a common practice in all genres of music for many people forming
a band to surround themselves with players who are not a threat to
their musicianship and who will work for less money so the leader can
be the Star and make more money doing so.   Other groups operate under
a different premise however and simply think that all things in the
band are equal and split up the money earned that way but leaving the
leader to pay for all the phone calls, do all the booking, print
flyers, pass em out, mail em out and a ton of other things that they
have to do to make a real business out of it and book the band.   This
is also wrong,  and leads to groups breaking up more and more and
forming five or six more dong the same thing over and over again,  in
all genres of music.

Just some passing thoughts to ponder.  These methods of running a band
work in varying degrees for different bands and the leaders of course
but we have learned on this great list that not all ideas work for all
bands and their particular situation you have to look at each situation
carefully and make the best of it in todays market if you wish to stay
in one genre of music alone, in particular, every okom musician with an
instrument is your competition for every gig and with all of them
hustling for gigs it is no wonder it is difficult to play in only one
band.   Especially when each memebr wants to be the leader and go out
and book their own gigs and be the Star. :))

Cheers,

Tom