[Dixielandjazz] Hilton Ruiz

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 9 09:45:22 PDT 2006

Tom and Steve -- thanks for mentioning the passing of Hilton Ruiz (and Billy
Preston, too).  Hilton was a good friend to the program director and music
director of the radio station I work at, Denver's KUVO, and I can attest to
the fact that he was one of the most well-rounded jazz players I've ever
heard.  He worked with Roland Kirk, and Kirk's appreciation of Waller, James
P., Bechet, Bigard and Byas, among others, rubbed off on Hilton, too.

Hilton's recent CD "Steppin' with T. P." (a tribute to Tito Puente, not to
the familiar paper product) is well worth seeking out (it was very poorly
distributed) for the cooking version of "Jumpin' with Symphony Sid" alone.

I'm convinced that there's more to the story of Hilton's death than has been
reported.  No way did he pull a Don Murray ("premature death from head
injuries apparently caused by his falling against a parked car in a drunken
stupor" -- AllMusic Guide).  Watch the news.

Ed Danielson