[Dixielandjazz] James Europe andd Jelly Roll

Audrey VanDyke audrey at callitmusic.com
Sun Jun 4 11:55:32 PDT 2006

Reading a 1949 jazz mag, there was this little article titled My
Favorite Jelly Roll Story" by Harrison Smith you all might enjoy.  "In
1928 I arranged for a pick-up band to do an audition for Jelly Roll in a
New York City studio.  The outfit's drummer, a real cut-up, clowned
around a lot and had a ball slapping some of the guys around.  Jelly
finally got disgusted, grabbed him, and asked, "Who did you ever kill?"
The guy meekly answered, "Jim."  Europe!  He did: I knew it all the time
and wondered how I could dismiss him from the outfit.  As Jelly released
him all he could say was: "My! My!" His favorite expression when pleased
or surprised."

Audrey Van Dyke