FW: [Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jubilee

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jun 2 00:11:50 PDT 2006

Bill wrote:
I heard a band I've loved for years at the Jubilee and I couldn't believe it
when between numbers they sort of stood around ignoring those of us in the
audience while they discussed the next tune.

Wow!  Unbelievable!  What's to discuss?  Either you have a list, or the
leader is thinking of the next tune while playing the present one.  Nope!
We fly into the next tune, usually before the applause has died down from
the previous song.  Talk to the audience?  Not much. With a multilingual
audience a "Buenas Noches....", & a bit more, is enough.  The music does the
talking, but it is (as I wrote yesterday) energetic & (I hope!) exciting.

Bill continues:
Presenting music without entertainment is virtually an oxymoron and those
bands that attempt it will find gigs slowly drying up over the years.

Oh, how I agree, Bill.  However, entertainment doesn't have to be chatter
&/or jokes in between songs.

Jim