[Dixielandjazz] Instruments on flights and insurance

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sun Jul 30 12:56:23 PDT 2006

This has been discussed already quite a bit, but as a 40 year road veteran,
maybe I can shed some more light on the subject.
First of all, check to make sure what kind of plane you will be flying  on.
The Canadair Regional Jet has a very narrow upper bin.  My case  that I
designed for Protec fits a trumpet and flugelhorn and will fit UNDER the  seat of a
regional jet. (There is no support in the middle of the two seats on  these
planes.)  A trombone in a gig bag might fit under, I'm not quite  sure.  Other
than those smaller planes, my wife Peggy, has always carried  on her trombone
in a gig bag.  There have been some arguments with  "insensitive and arbitrary"
gate agents and a few times we have asked to see a  person "with more
authority."  It has worked so far.  BUT ---- you  have to be sure that other
passengers who obviously aren't thinking, try to push  their carry on into or over
your trombone.............
The musicians' union agreement was with the Airline Transportation Safety
Board, about having a musical instrument as a "third" carry on, in addition to a
 brief case and a "personal item.  The sad thing is that the airlines didn't
have to honor it at all.  It was up to the gate agent, even if you had the
letter to the musicians' union in your possession.
Checking any instrument is always a "crap shoot" as to whether they will
either break it or loose it.  I try never to do that.   Most sax  players I know
use gig bags.  When we tour with the Stan Kenton Alumni, I  have to pay full
price for a seat for Joel Kaye's bass sax.
As far as insurance goes, most homeowner's policies will NOT cover your
instrument if you make any money playing it, regardless if you are in the union
or not.  Even though you may not consider yourself a "Pro" because you have
another job, they will try to use the accepting of money for performance, as a
means to get out of paying for lost, stolen or broken instruments.
Sort of like "Catch 22," huh?
I used to insure my instruments through the union insurance, but since I am
not a union member anymore, I just "bite the bullet" and go without
insurance.  But boy, do I keep a watch on my instruments!!!!!!!
Hope this clear things up a little more.
Mike Vax