[Dixielandjazz] Banjo, historically African?

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 19:03:29 PDT 2006

Those active on the Black Banjo list (ethnomusicologists, music  historians)
view the banjo's drone string as African in origin, trace  this to certain
historical and continuing musical traditions in West  Africa, do state that
banjos had variously 3, 4, 5 strings BUT included the  drone string.  I can't think
of any early art depicting the Scotch in the  SE mountains with drone string
banjos, as there is of African-Americans.   Many feel that the blue grassers
crediting Sweeney with adding the drone  string is an attempt to dis-associate
the banjo with its actual  origins.

For those with interest, this seems an informative site.  Note link to  The
Early Banjo in the New World.  The akointing is also described in  detil noted
as having a drone string.
_http://members01.chello.se/abzu/akonting/origin.html_
(http://members01.chello.se/abzu/akonting/origin.html)

Ginny

In a message dated 7/26/2006 6:43:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,