[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and Jass in the early years

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 18:33:45 PDT 2006

This version makes sense to me, a good one to offer up in some  settings.
Ginny

In a message dated 7/26/2006 7:01:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Vaxtrpts at aol.com writes:

Here is  my "take" on it.
I was lucky enough to live and perform in New Orleans 30  years ago, when
many of the Old Timers were still around and playing  their respective butts
off!
People like: Papa French, Frog Joseph,  Sweet Emma Barrett, Placide  Adams,
Louis Cotrell, Teddy Reily,  Freddy Kohlman, and many others.  I  LOVED being
there, getting  a chance to play with them, and ask questions about  the old
days,  which I did --- a bunch.
>From them:
The Jazz word was the "dirty"  one.
Some of them told me a story of a music critic for the "Times  Picayune" who
hated this new music that people like Freddy Keppard  and Buddy Bolden were
playing.  (He was a classical  guy................)  In one column, he  said
that
the music  sounded like the "braying of a jackass,"  and "Jass"  was a
contraction of jackass, sort of done as a put down to this  reviewer.   Just
another
story from the many tales of the early  years.
Mike  Vax