[Dixielandjazz] RE: Horn Parts and Rags

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Jul 22 06:46:30 PDT 2006

I'm looking at the LP right now:  RCA LSO-1159:  "Max Morath at the Turn of
the Century."  Bottom right hand corner of the cover:  "Arranged and
Conducted by Fred Karlin.  Copyright date is 1969.  Max Morath may not have
used an orchestra in his show (in fact I've seen three of his shows in the
Chicago area and it was always just Max and his piano), but RCA (or producer
Andy Wiswell) apparently made him use one for the album.

I'd have to search for the record, but I could swear the Original Ragtime
Quartet appears on "Max Morath Plays the Best of Scott Joplin and Other Rag
Classics," so at least there are some recordings extant of this work.

Hal Vickery

  _____