[Dixielandjazz] Ragtime with horns

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 21 20:07:45 PDT 2006

In George Avakian's liner notes for Bunk Johnson's "The Last
Testament of a Great Jazzman", he wrote: "All the performances were
improvised along lines dictated by Bunk, except for the rags, which
came from the 'Red Back Book of Rags' - standard equipment for all
New Orleans bands.  Of the rags, Bunk said: 'This music is hot as
written...Play it as written.'"

The arrangements sound similar to the Schuller sides but without the
violins and obviously played by jazzmen.

Roger Wade
Really Old Records
www.reallyoldrecords.com