[Dixielandjazz] Horn Parts and Rags

r.r.wheeler at att.net r.r.wheeler at att.net
Fri Jul 21 21:59:23 PDT 2006

Steve and all,

Great listening on those cuts.  That should settle once and for all the 'horns on rags' question.  Quite a revelation looking at the 25 titles on that CD as well.  The word 'darkie' appears in two titles, 'kinky' on another and cut 24 is the "N----- Blues" by the Victor Military Band.  Yeah, *that* 'N' word.

It has cut 19 as "The Memphis Blues, Or Mister Crump" by Prince's Band.  I thought 'Mr. Crump' was the original title of "The St. Louis Blues".  W. C. Handy originally wrote the tune as a campaign ditty for a local politician by that name.

Best from Central Georgia,

Ron Wheeler

-------------- Original message from Steve Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>: --------------