[Dixielandjazz] Seeking - Billy Maxted solo piano on "Little RockGetaway"

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 20 15:21:55 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Haupt Dave
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Sent: 20 July 2006 19:27
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Seeking - Billy Maxted solo piano on "Little
RockGetaway"

When I lived in Denver and Dick Gibson was running the
KADX radio station, he and other DJs often played a
version of Little Rock Getaway with Billy Maxted on
piano.  I seem to recall that it was a solo piece, and
a rather impressive display of technical capabilities.

After years of searching, I finally found an album
with the tune on it.  It's by "Billy Maxted and his
Manhattan Jazz Band".  The album title is "The Art of
Jazz" and contains "Little Rock Getaway".  However,
the version of the tune on that album is certainly not
the one I remember.  It's a decent trad arrangement
with the band and piano exchanging commentary on the
tune, but frankly, the contribution by piano is not
stellar.

I've been wondering if the version of the tune I'm
remembering might be on an album with someone else as
the leader, other than Billy Maxted.

Does anybody know the rendition of which I write?
~~~~~~~~

Dave,
"Little Rock Getaway", with Billy Maxted on piano, is included on a latter
day (1960) Bob Crosby album "Bob Crosby's Great Hits" a Dot Recording
released in the UK on the London label, # HA-D2293. I have the mono version
of this LP, but unable to play it at the moment. Going from memory it is not
a solo recording rather a piano feature with band interjections...... and
what a band !! Conrad Gozzo, Frank Beach, John Best, Mickey Mangano (tps) -
Moe Schneider, Si Zentner, Joe Howard (tmbs) - Matty Matlock, Eddie Miller,
Chuck Gentry, Babe Russin (sxs) - BM (p), Bob Haggart (sb), Nappy Lamare (g)
and Ray Bauduc (dms)

Could it be........... ? The US release may have been DOT DLP-3278

~
John D