[Dixielandjazz] Seeking - Billy Maxted solo piano on "Little Rock Getaway"

Haupt Dave srdaven at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 11:27:46 PDT 2006

When I lived in Denver and Dick Gibson was running the
KADX radio station, he and other DJs often played a
version of Little Rock Getaway with Billy Maxted on
piano.  I seem to recall that it was a solo piece, and
a rather impressive display of technical capabilities.

After years of searching, I finally found an album
with the tune on it.  It's by "Billy Maxted and his
Manhattan Jazz Band".  The album title is "The Art of
Jazz" and contains "Little Rock Getaway".  However,
the version of the tune on that album is certainly not
the one I remember.  It's a decent trad arrangement
with the band and piano exchanging commentary on the
tune, but frankly, the contribution by piano is not
stellar.

I've been wondering if the version of the tune I'm
remembering might be on an album with someone else as
the leader, other than Billy Maxted.

Does anybody know the rendition of which I write?

Kindly,

Dave Haupt
Hillsboro, OR