[Dixielandjazz] If Interested in Composer/Songwriter History

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Jul 14 09:00:38 PDT 2006

Not being, by any definition, an academic historian, I still learned fairly
quickly how often web sources of "history" are in error--not that this stopped
 my relying on them for quick info :>)--but I do try to be tentative in
passing such on and ask that any with different info let me know.

 And yes, plenty that is in book print is in error also.  But I  did buy a
book earlier this year that seems accurately done, very readable  style, packed
with more information than any audience would ever tolerate you  sharing,
unless maybe they were "captive" students, etc.  The authors are  David A. Jasen &
Gene Jones.  Title is: Spreadin' Rhythm Around --Black  Popular Songwriters,
1880 - 1930.  Does not include Thomas A. Dorsey of  recent discussion, but
does have chapters on Maceo Pinkard (Sweet Georgia  Brown), Cecil Mack (Shine),
Shelton Brooks, Spencer Williams, Clarence Williams,  and a bunch of other
notables whose tunes we are still playing as we  try to create our own reality.
Maybe I can someday get into another  "bubble" where all these wonderful dead
people are still around, but with modern  conveniences like email lists.
Ginny