[Dixielandjazz] 11th Grade Jazz History

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 12 13:27:54 PDT 2006

I'm with you on the format Mart. And also applaud that someone is trying to
get exposure to jazz in the primary grade levels. Jazz at Lincoln Center has
a similar program available at low cost to the schools.

I also believe that their tying in the sociological and historical content
of the times is a plus. Too many time, IMO, we want to separate the music
from what else was happening around it. I don't think you can ignore the
life styles of the musicians and/or the social context. That so and so was a
drunken genius, or a drug addict, or a womanizeer is all part of it.

For me, what was going on at the time is as important as the music itself
when seeking understanding of what, and how, it all happened.

Gee whiz, jazz once accounted for 70% of record sales. IMO, it wasn't all
because your parents appreciated the music anymore than Rock & Roll or Rap
fans were attracted because of the music and/or poetry. ;-) VBG.

The "mass audience reaction" was a lot more complex than that.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

\