[Dixielandjazz] 11th Grade Jazz History

David Story dstory at cogeco.ca
Fri Jul 14 05:40:55 PDT 2006

Nice site. I will be directing some of my jazz students to it. But, some of
the content is questionable from my point of view.

Tieing in jazz with American Democracy?

"There is no better example of democracy than a jazz ensemble: individual
freedom but with responsibility to the group. In other words, individual
musicians have the freedom to express themselves on their instrument as long
as they maintain their responsibility to the other musicians by adhering to
the overall framework and structure of the tune."

Later on the curriculum puts forward the following assertions.   "Listen to
any recording by Miles Davis1. Can you "hear" democracy at work?"

(The idea of co-opting the arts in the service of politics is always
dangerous grounds to me, given the history of the late 20th century.)

"E. Imagine: "just imagine how it would be if our society worked like a jazz
group...:

(Sun ra's group?
Duke's?
ODJB?